The Public Relations and Advertising portfolio of one of the Boutique NZ PR Agencies from Auckland
Tourism PR Case Study
Tourism PR Project
One of the top tourism public relations agencies Impact PR was called on to spotlight the opportunity to purchase a ticket on the world’s first commercial spaceline, Virgin Galactic, through its travel partner House of Travel. The challenge for this tourism PR project was to make the story fresh for media, given that tickets had been available for a few years.
Our tourism public relations brief was to generate coverage for House of Travel’s space flights on offer, positioning it as the exclusive and trusted travel agency for booking tickets to space. In doing this, the aim of the tourism PR project was to increase Kiwis’ interest in the opportunity to purchase space flights.
First, Impact PR tackled the challenge of establishing a fresh and solid news angle to promote media interest in this story. We discovered the number of people who had secured tickets and calculated how much Kiwis had invested in the space service to date.
We developed a PR plan which ensured a large scope of media coverage, by targeting a range of news media including TV, radio, online and print. We drafted a tourism public relations press release which highlighted Kiwis’ interest in the space service so far, while highlighting the revolutionary and unique opportunity to fly to space through House of Travel.
We pitched this as an exclusive story before disseminating it to key media, whom we secured several interviews for with key contacts such as House of Travel consultants and ticket holders.
Impact PR’s tourism PR strategy achieved regional interest in the national news story by pinpointing where House of Travel’s accredited space agents were based, and referring media on to them as an interview source.
Within an hour of our exclusive story being released, and following a widespread pitch to a range of new media, we had secured some impressive coverage and a number of nationwide interviews for our client including the following:
- 7 minute story about the space flights on TVNZ’s nationwide programme Seven Sharp featuring a House of Travel consultant and a ticket holder (Kiwi astronaut)
- Three pieces of coverage on nationwide radio station Newstalk ZB, including two interviews with owner of House of Travel Palmerston North, Stephen Parsons, and a news bulletin mention
- A news story about House of Travel’s space flights offering on nationwide radio station Radio Rhema
- A news article in The New Zealand Herald, including interviews arranged with two House of Travel clients who have purchased tickets to space
- A news article in national travel industry magazine Travel Today
- News articles in regional newspapers including: Northern Advocate, Bay of Plenty Times, Hawkes Bay Today, The Daily Post (Rotorua), Wairarapa Times Age, The Oamaru Mail, Hokitika Guardian, The Gisborne Herald, The News Westport, and The Greymouth Evening Star
- Coverage on top news and lifestyle sites including: Yahoo.com, NZHerald.co.nz, 3News.co.nz
For assistance with your tourism public relations project, contact specialist tourism PR agency Impact PR today.
- Client House of Travel
- Project name Space Flights
- Project type Public Relations