The most innovative designers consciously reject the standard option box and cultivate an appetite for thinking wrong.
Public Relations Case Study
Beauty PR Case study: Pantene Beautiful Lengths
Beauty public relations project: To raise the profile and credibility of Pantene by promoting its Beautiful Lengths National Donate Your Hair Week campaign. Our client P&G approached our specicalist FMCG PR agency for help with this unique beauty PR project.
Our beauty PR brief was to achieve awareness of the Pantene Beautiful Lengths beauty public relations campaign (by creating a break through beauty public relations strategy, which supports Kiwi women living with cancer).
The beauty public relations campaign, a partnership between Pantene and the charity Look Good Feel Better, saw hair donations taking place across the country with women pledging to cut off their ponytails for the cause.
Media exposure objective for the FMCG PR campaign was to secure news coverage for Pantene Beautiful Lengths using break through beauty PR tactics, while also encouraging women to donate their hair.
Impact PR drafted a beauty PR consumer release and two new releases to ensure a wide reach of coverage for Pantene Beautiful Lengths.
We drafted a beauty public relations consumer release to promote awareness of the campaign, prompting women to donate their hair to the cause. This release was disseminated to target media nationwide.
The success of our consumer release gave us leverage for our first news release, which announced the unprecedented number of women across Australasia who had donated their ponytails to women with cancer. This story captured the interest of national television, print and online media.
Impact PR then worked to establish anther strong FMCG PR news angle around Pantene Beautiful Lengths, to achieve longevity in our beauty PR strategy.
Another unique beauty public relations tactic employed was when we conducted a poll measuring the value of female friendships among Kiwi women. The results of this poll gave us an anchor to draft another engaging news release, which was also picked up by television, print and online media nationwide.
Media interest generated by these releases provided a launch pad for television features, including on national TV breakfast show Good Morning.
Impact PR decided on a creative beauty PR approach for an exclusive feature on the show, to attain high value coverage which was unique and worked well for a visual-driven audience.
We decided to maximise exposure by securing both a news and a makeover feature on the show, providing interview subjects and sourcing ponytail donors for the beauty segment. Impact PR found the donors by utilising social media; through Pantene’s Facebook page.
The three women whose hair was cut received individual hair makeovers on air, as they spoke about why they had decided to donate to the cause, securing an impressive time slot.
In a further beauty public relations coup, these women were handed flowers by celebrity Delta Goodrem at the end of the show, further captivating viewers of all ages.
Interviews were then arranged for further TV media, ensuring an ongoing national television presence.
Online media was targeted by way of a creative mailing to top consumer, lifestyle and mummy bloggers.
Over the four month period of running the Pantene Beautiful Lengths beauty PR Campaign, Impact PR secured the following television, newspaper and online coverage for Pantene Beautiful Lengths.
The beauty public relations coverage was successful in achieving not just improved brand awareness but also a significant increase in ponytail donations inquiries.
- 5 national television features for Pantene Beautiful Lengths on TVNZ Close Up, TVNZ Breakfast (x2), TVNZ’s Good Morning, and World Television
- 12 minutes 30 seconds segment on TVNZ Good Morning starting off as an interview with netballer Katrina Grant and General Manager of Look Good Feel Better Charity, Yvonne Brownlie, about Pantene Beautiful Lengths. This evolved into a makeover segment with three Kiwi women donating their hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths live on air, and top stylist Mana Dave transforming their long locks into beautiful bobs with a final reveal of their fresh new haircuts at the end. To view this clip please click here
- 5 minutes 8 seconds segment on TVNZ current affairs show Close Up, interviewing a Pantene Beautiful Lengths donor and talking about what donating her hair means to her.
- 2 minutes 17 seconds feature on TVNZ Breakfast show, discussing a friendship survey commissioned by Pantene Beautiful Lengths.
- 2 minutes 23 seconds on TVNZ Breakfast show interviewing General Manager of Look Good Feel Better, Yvonne Brownlie, who spoke about the Pantene Beautiful Lengths Campaign and what it can offer women with cancer.
- 117 branded newspaper and online stories including:
- Front page mention and page 4 article on Pantene Beautiful Lengths in national newspaper The New Zealand Herald.
Full page article in the Herald on Sunday on The Pantene Beautiful Lengths campaign
News articles in regional newspapers including: Western Leader, Waiuku & Districts Post, The Press, The Taupo Times, The Star Canterbury, Rodney Times, River City Press, Papakura Courier, Marlborough Express, Manawatu Standard, Mainland Press, Franklin County News, Eastern Courier, East & Bays Courier and Bay of Plenty Times.
Coverage on top news and lifestyle sites including: NZHerald.co.nz, Yahoo.com, Stuff.co.nz, TVNZ.co.nz and MSN.co.nz.
Online bloggers’ mentions on Zmonline.co.nz, Twitter.com/KatrinaGrant, Thestyleinsider.co.nz and therefinededit.co.nz, NZGirl.co.nz
For help with your beauty PR project or beauty public relations campaign, contact FMCG PR specialist firm Impact PR – (also one of the leading Fashion PR companies)
- Client Pantene
- Project type Public Relations